Place des Vosges is the most antique square of Paris.
It was designed by Louis Métezeau, following the order of Henry IV. It was inaugurated in 1612 with the celebration of the marriage of Louis XII and Anna of Hapsburg.
At first, The name of the square was Royal Palace because it was built specifically for the monarchy. To let them enjoy the different events and receptions. In 1800, the name was changed to “Place des Vosges”. To commemorate the Vosges region whose habitants were the first who tribute taxes to sustain the revolutionary army expenses
Victor Hugo’s house is located in one of the corners of Place des Vosges.