The House of Ruinart is unlike any other. It was the first established Champagne House in 1729 and inspired by the intuition of a monk well ahead of his time…
Nicolas Ruinart, a Reims draper like his father, started his first account ledger devoted to “wine with bubbles” on September 1, 1729.
This ledger serves as the birth certificate for the first Champagne House ever created. The first bottles of “wine with bubbles” produced were intended as gifts for Nicolas Ruinart’s clients who purchased cloth and fabric.
However, Nicolas was a sophisticated businessman and he had adopted his uncle’s pioneering vision and ambition for “wine with bubbles,” and just six years after the initial bottles were produced he found success.
In 1735, Maison Ruinart abandoned the cloth trade to concentrate on the burgeoning champagne trade. This became Nicolas’s sole occupation and growth was exponential.